Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zato_1one  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:13:32 PM(UTC)
zato_1one

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sony will offer SDK for PS Vita this November. But what interests me the most is that it uses C#!!! I never expect that Sony will offer C# SDK. It looks like C# is becoming more and more popular in game development industry. ThumpUp

http://www.news10.net/ne...tory.aspx?storyid=154858
thanks 1 user thanked zato_1one for this useful post.
Benjamin on 9/16/2011(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline saviilsy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:00:51 PM(UTC)
saviilsy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zato_1one Go to Quoted Post
Sony will offer SDK for PS Vita this November. But what interests me the most is that it uses C#!!! I never expect that Sony will offer C# SDK. It looks like C# is becoming more and more popular in game development industry. ThumpUp

Wow... Absolutely wow. Didn't see that one coming, after all the language is developed by one of their biggest enemy. But C# is a blast to develop with - I think Sony engineers think the same thing. C# is here to stay, better yet, it rises in gaming industry.

Now I am curious though. What is the basis of their technology - is it Mono? Or is it the apache license micro .net(though it is very limited in class library so I presume it is Mono or proprietary version .NET)? Hopefully it is Mono as Xamarin needs big parters as Sony.

And for MobileBits, this is straight invitation for You to implement a wrapper for the SDK Sony is providing - go for it I say! BigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:01:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typos

Offline Benjamin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:41:49 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)

This is great news. Actually C# on PS3 (using Mono) and other Sony devices (Android via Xamarin) was already possible in the past, but it is a great step from Sony announcing it and probably doing some own work behind it. Our game SoulCraft actually works great on Sony Android devices and is developed and tested on it, especially Xperia thanks to the great controls. Not really sure why Sony did not speak about this sooner, but I wasn't the one speaking with them, maybe there were hints we missed :D

Anyway, for the Delta Engine it is just great news because adding another platform in November already will help us pushing out the whole idea to develop your game once with the Delta Engine and then let our services handle all the little details getting your game run on a whole array of different platforms :)
Offline elasto  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:32:31 PM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just the Wii for a full house then? ^_^
Offline Benjamin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:55:09 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Actually Wii is possible for several years thanks to some groundwork the Mono team has done. And Unity is also supporting Wii via Mono. It is just not a focus for us yet. But we obviously plan to add more platforms in the future :)
Offline zato_1one  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 4:37:53 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

Playstation Vita TGS 2011 Keynote

Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke (DeltaEngine) Go to Quoted Post
Actually Wii is possible for several years thanks to some groundwork the Mono team has done. And Unity is also supporting Wii via Mono. It is just not a focus for us yet. But we obviously plan to add more platforms in the future :)

Never know about this before. But I think Wii is outdated already. Better wait for Wii U instead. Smile
Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 10:07:29 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Thanks for the video link.

Btw: Here is the Mono link for the Wii: http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Wii
Offline zato_1one  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:22:31 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

I'm just thinking about it. Do you know if Unity also supports PS3 and Xbox360 via Mono?

Edited by user Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:23:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:57:04 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

I'm just thinking about it. Do you know if Unity also supports PS3 and Xbox360 via Mono?

Yes, obviously. But remember that they just use Mono for scripting, all of Unity is native code (which is very different to how the Delta Engine works).
Offline zato_1one  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:45:05 PM(UTC)
zato_1one

I'm impressed with Mono team. I never know until recently that they also implement Mono version for console. I don't know how complete it is but it's still an impressive job, nonetheless. Well, to tell the truth, I'm quite puzzled when you put PS3 and Wii in Wiki (the info is still unavailable though). I didn't think it was really possible at the time.

I've read from this page http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:PlayStation3 , it said that it runs on PS3 with Linux. But with new firmware upgraded of PS3, the users can't install other OS in PS3 anymore. Does this mean that there is a Mono version which can run on PS3 OS?
Offline Benjamin  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:47:32 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Well, if you are PS3 Developer you can do whatever you want on your local console. With a normal PS3 you can only do whatever Sony allows you to (and thats not much these days), but I bet there are ways around it ^^

Doesn't really help if you want to deploy anything on the PS3 Marketplace Blink
Offline zato_1one  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 5:35:28 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

That's too bad. Sony will never accept a freelance developer who is coding in front of his desktop in his home like me to become PS3 developer. And I'm not sure that I can afford the license cost too. lol

I hope that someday Sony will establish its own indie community and provide an easier way to deploy the game on PSN like XNA community. Smile
Offline Benjamin  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 5:52:13 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Isn't this exactly what the PS Vita SDK is for? I am sure it will be extended to more Sony game devices in the future.
Offline zato_1one  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:59:35 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

Yes, I hope so. Like you said, it's possible that this SDK will be extended to support more devices and who knows it may support PS3 in the future too! Yeah, I hope it happens anytime soon.

It's not that I forget about this SDK. But as of now there is still no more information about licensing, term of use and especially cost. So, I'm still somewhat skeptical about it. Just need to wait and see how it goes. Cool

EDIT:

Found this twitter image

UserPostedImage

By the way, I've searched Miguel blog and just found that he had developed Mono to run on PS3 native OS through PhyreEngine.

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jun-08.html

But it's quite old so the project may not active anymore. Huh

Edited by user Monday, September 26, 2011 7:34:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 2:59:54 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, good research. We have used/checked out the PhyreEngine for PS3 in 2009 as well and PInvoking it from C# shouldn't be very complicated (certainly easier than OpenGL or DirectX, which are very low level frameworks). Running Mono on such processor architectures is supported for a long time too (runs on all consoles, not just PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii are possible too), we just have to find a deal with the Xamarin guys in the future (right now they focus on mobile like we do).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed