Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline internetfreak  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:25:42 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I just got a screen with some weird output^^
Here it is
UserPostedImage
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline internetfreak  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:33:34 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Here's another weird image. It seems, that there's still problems with atlas textures (most of my content is now on a atlas texture but the game either doesn't find it or brings such weird outputs^^
UserPostedImage
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:26:08 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
The ContentManager threading issue has already been resolved, I will update the ContentManager.exe tool so it can be used in the next nightly release.

For atlas textures, you probably need to make sure they get re-generated (delete the AtlasTextures folder in the ContentManager). If the problem persists I have to take a closer look, maybe one of the many changes in the past few days caused this. For the projects I have tested it works fine after generating new atlas textures (which are not longer shared with fallback projects, this caused another bunch of headaches).
Offline elasto  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:52:21 AM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ok, I assume I know what's happening to make content creation in my VS bin/Debug/Content folder take 30 mins to complete. I mention it in case you haven't also seen and fixed it in the meantime.

It looks to me very much like if I've got an atlas (AtlasTexture0.dxt5) with 180 images inside, for every image it is
(a) downloading the whole AtlasTexture0.dxt5 file again
(b) updating the line in ContentMetaData for that image

I watched it building the Content folder, and Date Created and Date Modified on AtlasTexture0.dxt5 kept updating over and over until the whole process had finished. I also checked my internet stats (ran it twice) and it downloaded 140MB each time to create the Content folder despite the Content folder only totalling about 6MB.

(Edit: I also had what happened in post #26 happen to me, but it only happened once yesterday - was fine before and after that occasion.)

Edit 2: The AtlasTexture0.dxt5 file when zipped is around 600k, so I think the maths adds up: (~600k downloaded ~180 times)

Edited by user Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:01:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:40:00 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

That sounds like a pretty bad issue. Internetfreak mentioned to me as well that his project was indicating a 60mb download, but when I checked it was just 1-2 mb, probably it was the same issue, but I dismissed it because I already fixed the atlas reloading issue on the client side in v0.9.5.0.

Seems I forgot the server side. Obviously each atlas image only needs to be send once, not for every content entry :( The caching code is commented out because of other problems and now without caching stuff is getting resend and not even checked properly (hopefully the fix is easy enough without having to activate the whole caching all over again, which is probably tons of work to test and make sure it all works).

Thanks for the catch though. I didn't notice in the office and at home my Internet is pretty fast and the projects are small, so I did not notice either.
Offline Benjamin  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:10:26 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Okay, the issue has been fixed. I implemented a partial cache for just a session, so it won't conflict with the overall user cache. No files that already have been received will be send again.

Hopefully this makes getting files for you much faster and usable again. If your content grabs are longer than 10 seconds (which can happen, one very complex project goes over 2 minutes), I should probably optimize some things or work on the cache a bit in a few weeks.
Offline elasto  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:19:12 AM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Cool. Glad I could help pin it down. Saves money on your bandwidth bills if nothing else!

We got lucky I had a bad connection. In my testing today it was only taking 5 mins to complete and I probably would never have mentioned it. Taking 30 mins, though, it was obvious something wasn't quite right...

Going to move my build issue to another thread now.
Offline Benjamin  
#32 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 10:14:44 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Finally codeplex has fixed the hg issues and pushing is possible again :) The last few nightly releases also have appeared now.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed