Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Benjamin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:16:10 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
v0.9.5 was just released (2012-03-31) and supports the basic mobile feature set for 2D and 3D games development. I will continue improving and supporting Windows, WP7, Android and iOS and allow anyone with a Marketplace account to build applications and games using the Launcher. Also supported content formats have been improved:
- Meta data editing is possible in the ContentManager
- Icons and Splash Images can now be uploaded
- Font, Image Animation, 3D Content (meshes, textures, materials, shaders, etc.) for more complex games are finally fully implemented.
- Atlas Texture generation is implemented and will be improved over time, this greatly improves performance on mobile platforms.
For more details you can check the usual location:
http://deltaengine.net/Wiki.v0-9-5.ashx

Sadly (as you might have noticed if you follow the Forum) I do not have an engine team anymore (pretty much for 4 months now) and the situation is not changing. For this reason no more monthly releases can be made and I will only continue supporting the v0.9.5 release until the situation changes. Pretty much half of my time is supporting game teams and the other half is fixing and improving existing issues and it is just impossible to finish all the planed work for v1.0 myself in 2012 (over 3000 hours of features are currently written down, this does not include support time and bug fixing).

v0.9.5 will be the stable release that indie developers can use (see Marketplace), we do not recommend it for companies as we do not have the resources to finish complex feature requests.
- v1.0 is currently on hold, sorry about that!
- As always I will continue supporting in the Forum and try to fix issues asap, especially content and build system related.
- Most parts of the engine (pretty much everything except the content generation and the build servers) are Open Source and you are free to modify whatever you need or help out committing features or patches via CodePlex. Of course if you need help with a feature that is currently not easy to do I will try to help as much as I can, but I cannot promise that all feature requests can be implemented (e.g. new platforms are pretty much not on any plans right now).
- As always check the latest nightly release to stay up to data with the current development progress!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline internetfreak  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:13:51 AM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I tested a bit to see, what's new and got this log from the ContentManager:
Code:
Program: Delta.Tools.ContentManager v0.9.5.0
Modules: Graphic=OpenTK, Input=Windows, Audio=OpenTK, Video=, Physics=
Start Time: 2012-04-01 00:54:31
Platform: Windows, 2 CPU Cores, 32 bit (on 64 bit OS), Windows 7 v7601 Service Pack 1, Resolution: 808, 728, VS: 2, PS: 2
User: Mirco (MIRCO-PC)

03.830 Warning: 	Found an existing dynamic module already! This is not allowed, each module should be a singleton and only be initialized once! Existing module with all children will be removed: Delta.Graphics.OpenTK.OpenTKGraphic: Name=OpenTKGraphics, Children=0, Parent=null
09.984 Warning: The loaded Png Image 'PongAdvanced\warpBG.png' might cause problems, it has alpha (switching to this), but the given blend mode 'Opaque' from the content system says we have no alpha
13.106 Warning: Inner Exception for the next Error: System.NotSupportedException: OpenTKShader(TexturedShader2D) cannot be used when OpenTKGraphic has not been initialized!
There must be something wrong with creating the graphic device: OpenTK
	bei Delta.Graphics.OpenTK.OpenTKShader.CompileShader(Boolean isVertexShader, String shaderCode, Int32& shader)
	bei Delta.Graphics.BaseOpenGL.BaseOpenGLShader.TFmx5uk2RA(String , Boolean , Int32& )
	bei Delta.Graphics.BaseOpenGL.BaseOpenGLShader.eqAxFiGQjg(String , String )
	bei Delta.Graphics.BaseOpenGL.BaseOpenGLShader.LoadShaderCode(String vertexAndFragmentSource)
	bei Delta.Graphics.BaseShader.Load()
	bei Delta.Graphics.BaseShader.aGCLV82mbo()
	bei Delta.Engine.Dynamic.RunDelegate.Invoke()
	bei Delta.Graphics.Graphic.Run()
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.Run()
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.StartExecutionLoop()
13.111 Error: Fatal runtime error occurred, unable to continue.
Inner Exception: OpenTKShader(TexturedShader2D) cannot be used when OpenTKGraphic has not been initialized!
There must be something wrong with creating the graphic device: OpenTK
	at Delta.Engine.Application.Error(System.String message, System.Object exceptionObject)
	at Delta.Engine.Application.StartExecutionLoop()
	at Delta.Platforms.Windows.WindowsApplication.StartExecutionLoop()
	at Delta.Engine.Application.Start(Delta.Engine.Dynamic.DynamicModule initialModule)
	at Delta.Tools.ContentManager.ContentManagerWindow..ctor()
	at Delta.Tools.ContentManager.App.a3otggri21(System.Object , System.Windows.StartupEventArgs )
	at Delta.Tools.ContentManager.App.Main()

I got another log as i tried to delete a ContentProject with the delete key (right click doesn't work, because the option is grayed out), but i clicked it away, because i thought, it's maybe an error which will occur a second time (now, it don't occur)

If I got more log, I will post.

The wiki for 0.9.5 says something about RPG starter kit, UI Editor and more, but i can't find something like that.
Isn't it implemented or only internal?
And too sad, that you are working alone on the engine.

Beside the stop of monthly releases, will it affect Nightly releases? Or are they coming like before but we couldn't get a 0.9.6 and more until you are not alone any more? (My english is bad as ever, i hope, you can understand me)

If you need help, so tell us. I'm sure that we, your users, can help you^^
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:48:37 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Thanks for the bug report. I just spend 3 hours figuring out why OpenTK would not start up normally (only happened in WPF tools) and whatever fix I applied just caused other issues to occur, so I had to rewrite some portions of the Viewport Pixel Size code ..

Anyway, the issue is now fixed and everyone should be able to use the ContentManager normally (it was the only tool affected).

I have also cleaned up the v0.9.5 feature list, it was a bit too long and it included everything I moved around, not really issues that were resolved. I have also added a note at the bottom of the list to state that not all these issues are 100% resolved yet ^^

I will obviously still work on the Delta Engine and especially merge stuff from the community into v0.9.5, so yes there will be tons of nightly releases and if it gets too much v0.9.6, v0.9.7, etc. will be released as well, but just not in a monthly fashion. For now I will focus on fixing existing issues with 3D content (for the book chapter I am writing) and some build service issues (not many, works pretty neatly for several projects already).
Offline internetfreak  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:02:22 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Good to know, whats happening.

I hope, you could fix the issue with the EngineTypeList that I have reported before in the german forum.
Otherwise, I won't be able to use the launcher correctly, which is bad.

I also got an messed up ContentProject, my Content won't be downloaded and all I get are Warnings and fallback content.

EDIT: Item number #8394 says something about an tutorial on "How to Switch to Fullscreen at runtime" which was reported by me.
Is it already accessible? If not, could you tell me the code, so I could try to make at least an german tutorial for an english translation. (Something like that fits in my Blitz delta Series^^)

Edited by user Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:06:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 2:44:07 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

I have tested the fullscreen code a little and fixed some minor issues, but there are no tutorials available yet (except what was already in Delta.Engine.Tests).

About the EngineTypeList and the Launcher, I am not sure why this would occur for you still. The issue is not fixed, but I have not encountered it all week, please post an update in the thread, even if it is still the same issue with v0.9.5. Thanks.
Offline internetfreak  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 2:56:53 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Ok, I will post a new log later in my thread for this issue with the launcher.

Now, there's only one thing: I still have an problem with my content which won't get downloaded.
Can you please look at my ContentProject PongAdvanced?
The other projects should be fine because I either have no content in them or I don't need them anymore.

I have one side question: The Theme-Class have an Constructor which needs an string as themeName.
Is this for a contentFile or only a display name?
If it's for loading from content, I would appreciate if there's an empty constructor so we can do themes ourself without content files. (I want to make an class which inherits from theme, because I can activate these themes easily)

Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:14:53 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Hi Internetfreak,

I cannot check your project PongAdvanced because it is private and only you have access. You would need to add me as a user so I can test it.

The normal Pong project works fine, I have no idea why your project won't work correctly. Have you maybe created it at the time the content structure was changed (ProjectSettings folder)? You could try do delete your ProjectSettings folder and/or other outdated items to let them be regenerated.

The Theme constructor is for loading Themes via content, which would be a feature of the UIEditor, which is not coming anytime soon. You can still create ThemeData content yourself (and even save and load it) via the Delta.Content.UserInterfaces assembly.
Offline internetfreak  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:30:04 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

My Content still worked before, I encountered this problem as 0.9.5 came out.
The problem is, that no content gets downloaded, so all content will be replaced with fallback content.
I just checked all my content projects in the ContentManager - none of them has any content entry, all projects only have the Engine Node.
It seems, that all things are disappeared.
If it's the same error I had before, it should be fine, if I recreate all folders and then, the Content should appear. But it's better, if you check the projects.
Just tell me the name and I will add you to the list of users who can use my content.

With the Theme constructor - Can I give it something like <TestTheme> to say, that it's a empty theme like Screens? (For screens, it's possible to give <TestScreen> as name and then, it won't be loaded so I can fill it by myself)

Offline Benjamin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:23:05 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Your PongAdvanced project should work fine again, I tested some things and now it is all back to normal (but I did not have to touch any of your content, must have been some issues with Atlas Texture generation that failed for you earlier). Please check your other projects as well, try creating a AtlasTexture folder and delete it to force all obsolete AtlasTextures to be killed (if it does not work, ask again, then I have to delete them manually).

I also noticed your warpBG.png image had the old png alpha issue, which is now fixed in v0.9.5, please re-upload the image to make the warning go away (it will be converted to a non-alpha png on the server automatically).

About the Theme constructor: "<TestTheme>" should work fine, but I usually use Content.EmptyName to indicate empty content.
Offline internetfreak  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:02:57 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

ok, my content has appeared again, it's now visible again.
I also reuploaded my warpBG.png to fix the issue. (before 0.9.5, I hadn't had this issue so no plan why it came back)
Now, I have no AtlasTextures but I assume, this is normal.
I tried to create an folder and got this message:
Code:
---------------------------
Delta Engine Services - Content Manager
Server Error: Failed to process message 'UpdateContent': Unable to import project content 'TestFolder'. The content importer for this format 'Folder' is not implemented yet!
OK   

After a restart of the ContentManager, the Folder has appeared.

About the Themes: As long as I can create new, empty Themes from the Theme-Class (so I can assign them direct to Theme.Current, when I would like to switch theme) like Screens (where you can prevent loading a screen from content with <TestScreen>), it would be fine.
As long as there's no UIThemeEditor, I must create themes in my code (if I could, I would eventually try to make one, but I don't know how and I don't know, if I have time for it)

EDIT: When I debug my game, the content still isn't available, I still get the checkboard pattern as fallback. In the Contentmanager, my content is visble.

Edited by user Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:16:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 1:16:10 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Thanks for the report. I forgot to include the Folder content type for the ContentManager content, it got excluded when uploading or updating it, which most likely even caused other issues. The issue is now fixed and I also updated 3D Model importing (in v0.9.4 only 3D meshes could be imported), the server update is coming shortly.
Offline internetfreak  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 2:08:41 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

I got the same problem again: Two of foru projects has no Content but the Engine Node.

For the other two, I get the following message from the ContentManager:

Delta Engine Services - Content Manager

Server Error: Failed to check project 'BrickBreaker' content for user 'internetfreak': Failed to get ContentRoot for Project BrickBreaker

OK

This happens for my old project BrickBreaker (which is now unneeded because I stopped developing it and started instead to develop PongAdvanced) and also for my (also unneeded) project Boxed

I also saw that most of the samples are not working because they have no Content or it cannot get downloaded.

Offline Benjamin  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 4:38:28 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Sorry about that. I will try to fix the project BrickBreaker later when restarting the service (I will remove all obsolete atlas textures, which should hopefully get rid of this problem).
Offline internetfreak  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:35:16 AM(UTC)
internetfreak

Just as note.
My content is still invisible^^
Please fix is asap, so I can continue developing my games and projects.

Offline Benjamin  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:07:25 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

I finally fixed some crucial issues, try again, it should all be back to normal. I will check tomorrow if there are more outstanding issues. Still want to do some more iOS testing this week ..
Offline internetfreak  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:35:14 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

There's still something wrong.
Now, my content has disappeared again. I even can't create new content, because it disappear after a restart of the content manager
Since 0.9.5 is out, I have problems with the content, before 0.9.5 everything worked

Offline Benjamin  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:25:58 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, I just found another issue that only happens after a few hours. The problem was already present since v0.9.3, but I only found out about it because of a new feature (project folders and project content is excluded in platform content). This issue is now fixed :)

Please try again and report back if you still experience the same problems again (then it must be related to something else).
Offline internetfreak  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:41:14 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Ok, content is visible again in the content manager but cannot get downloaded.
My game still loads only the engine node with all fallback content, but not my own content.

EDIT: I also expirienced that since 0.9.5 the content manager sometimes won't close. I only see a black window when I try to close it

Edited by user Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:43:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline elasto  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:31:10 PM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Content hasn't worked properly for me either since 0.9.5 either.

The latest for me is that it just seems to only partially download content no matter how long I leave it: every time I clear out the folder to redownload sometimes there'll be a few entries in ContentMetaData and sometimes lots (but that seems odd to me in itself given that almost all of my image data fits into a single atlas). Images that are listed in ContentMetaData will display properly in game though.

Edit: I think it's all worked, but according to the timestamps it was more than 30 minutes from launching the game to the final content item downloading!

Edited by user Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:06:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline elasto  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:39:46 PM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
(edit: off-topic post moved to new thread (here))

Edited by user Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:27:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:47:18 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes it seems the caching was not the real problem, I have to debug the server again and find out whats going on. At least I fixed some other things along the way ..

PS: For Launcher errors please open a separate thread for each failed build, so I can track the problems more efficiently. Thanks!

Edited by user Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:48:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:39:24 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

It seems the problem has been fixed a few hours ago already after all. A totally unrelated build service crash has causing the service to freeze and was probably not updating or returning content for PG or Internetfreak. I will monitor the service a bit more and check in an hour or two if it still behaves (the cache should be outdated by then).
Offline Benjamin  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:01:06 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

And another issue prevented some outdated projects to be updated. This is also fixed now. If you have outdated content, try to start your application twice or just delete the Content folder. Hope this helps :)
Offline internetfreak  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:20:49 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

My content has just returned.
With every restart, a bit more has appeared. Now, there are only some files missing, most files are loaded und would be displayed.

But I'm seeing some unexpected issues.
My game screen goes black after a short time and I even got suddenly the follwing log:
Code:
05.244 Error: Fatal Error: Unhandled exception occurred (Application is terminated, we cannot recover!): System.InvalidOperationException: Die Auflistung wurde geändert. Der Enumerationsvorgang kann möglicherweise nicht ausgeführt werden.
	bei System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
	bei System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Enumerator.MoveNext()
	bei Delta.InputSystem.Command.Update()
	bei Delta.InputSystem.CommandManager.aEK1tuFnQTy5o26TAZa(Object )
	bei Delta.InputSystem.CommandManager.Update()
	bei Delta.InputSystem.Input.GulkvoRGkBisehnet7C(Object )
	bei Delta.InputSystem.Input.Run()
	bei Delta.Engine.Dynamic.DynamicModule.RunWithChildren()
	bei Delta.Engine.Dynamic.DynamicModule.RunWithChildren()
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.P0UGDjjjnyfGmhCNNSo(Object )
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.Run()
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.XrnuaBQfMxZbhgVVVy(Object )
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.StartExecutionLoop()
	bei Delta.Platforms.Windows.WindowsApplication.StartExecutionLoop()
	bei Delta.Engine.Application.Start(DynamicModule initialModule)
	bei PongAdvanced.Program.Main() in E:\Dropbox\Projekte\PongAdvanced\PongAdvanced\Program.cs:Zeile 16.

But it's good to see that most things are working now.
If I could, I'd post a screen because it seems that some AtlasTextures are messed up.
Maybe it would help to delete the content again.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed