Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Benjamin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:03:45 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
The monthly release for February 2012 is finally out (sorry for the delay, but as you can see from the nightly releases a lot of fixes had to be made first). The main improvements were done on the server side (content generation and improved build support for iOS and Android). v0.9.4 is also the first version everyone can use to deploy their application onto all supported platforms, see Marketplace Licensing for details (payment stuff is coming shortly): http://deltaengine.net/Marketplace

The Documentation was also improved a lot in v0.9.4, a lot more classes and previously hidden information is now available at: http://help.deltaengine.net/

As usual you can either download the source code directly (and optionally use Mecurial for nightly updates) at: http://deltaengine.codep...eControl/list/changesets
Or you can just download the installer for v0.9.4 on the Download page: http://deltaengine.net/Download

More details can be found at: http://deltaengine.net/Wiki.v0-9-4.ashx

Edited by user Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:04:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline elasto  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:11:05 AM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Let me be the first to say... Woot!
Offline Benjamin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:44:34 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Btw: Today there will be a bit more internal testing (so people having access already might be able to test a bit too). If all goes well tomorrow emails will go out to active forum members to try out the build system for themselves. After that the Marketplace will be open for everyone (later this week, the CeBIT should not be too distracting for me as I will only visit on Saturday ^^).
Offline AaronStackpole  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:52:11 PM(UTC)
AaronStackpole

Damn it! I wanted to be the first Woot! ;)
Offline Laumania  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:49:04 PM(UTC)
Laumania

If w00t is the word in here - w00t!

Sounds great, we take a look at it later :)

Does this mean that I can now run the sample games, or my game, on emulators for android and iOS? not deploy, just test out in the emulators.

And when you say "active" forum members, is there a list to put your name on, or will I get an email just by writing this? :)

Edited by user Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:45:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:18:30 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Laumania ApS Go to Quoted Post

And when you say "active" forum members, is there a list to put your name on, or will I get an email just by writing this? :)

It means people with 100+ posts or that have committed code or helped testing before. Also people that have won previous contests.

Soon after everyone can test it out as well (with a Marketplace account).

About Emulators: We currently have not finished work on our emulators, in fact our iOS Emulator was last updated in 2010, so we need to fix up some stuff first. It is however possible to test out the different emulators with the build service on Windows (just no look and feel of emulators, just the graphics api mostly). That is how I tested most of the new graphic and content improvements last week.

Using the Android SDK Emulator is also completely useless like I have mentioned in several other posts, it is just too slow for anything serious. It is also a pain to work with (you can deploy your .apk you get from the build service, it works, but it won't be fun).

We could also support the iOS Emulator on MacOS, but that is not really useful IMO. We have not done so since 2010 as well and no of the game teams sees any advantage testing it there. It is either the real device for usability testing or just using Windows.

So in short: Testing is currently Windows only, deploying is only with a Marketplace account and iOS/Android Add-Hoc only (you can however use certificates for the AppStore, but we would not recomment it ^^).
Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 8:21:32 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Short update about v0.9.4 and platform testing: Our engineer currently testing platform deployment is sick and things are going a bit slowly right now. I was mostly held up fixing ContentManager, Font rendering and generation issues and fixing up some repositiory issues (v0.9.4.1 was released without an issue list, but this is fixed now in v0.9.4.2, etc.)

Deployment on Android was tested today a bit and while it works, performance is not good (strangely even with the new font rendering system, which is many times faster). So this needs more testing and iOS has not been tested for days. CeBIT is also this week here in Hannover, and I am also a 'bit' overworked by working for 400 hours last month. The Marketplace will not be made public this week as more testing is required. So stay tuned for the Marketplace next week. This will hopefully not affect many people.
Offline internetfreak  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 9:04:27 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You could let some user test the market too.
Simply select some active user and let them test.
So you have more time to focus other things too and more feedback with testing.
I could provide me as tester, if you want (I'd like to give something back because you give us with delta so many things)
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:09:39 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yeah, I already activated some selected users (even last month), but they could only report some bugs I already know about but could not fix yet.

In addition I have now added the following users to have full Marketplace Access (for those who had access before nothing changes):
- BFox (winner of October contest and active forum member)
- Internetfreak (active forum member)
- Santtu (contributor)
- PG (active forum member and contributor)
- Carufo (winner of November contest)
- Amer (contributor)

Some information will appear on this wiki page: http://deltaengine.net/Wiki.Launcher.ashx
For internal testers there is additional information in the private wiki (only if you have access).

Good luck. Remember to report bugs either here in the forum or write me an PM or Email if it contains sensible information or if you want to keep your project or bugs unknown ^^ as I said before, most issues will most likely only be fixed next week. Today I will be on the CeBIT.

Edited by user Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:10:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline elasto  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:26:48 AM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just tried a Windows build. You may or may not be aware of this minor bug:

When the Content Project name is different to the C# project name (ie the .exe name) the desktop shortcut is created wrongly. It references [Content Project name].exe instead of the correct .exe

My built application, on being run, just displays the Windows 'busy' mouse cursor for a few seconds but otherwise does nothing. No error message displayed or in any text file.

Edit: Oh, there was one warning on build:

2012-03-10 12:17:02 Warning: EngineTypeList was not found, unable to replace assembly entries to the merged '<snip>.exe' executable. If dynamic invocation is needed and AllowDevelopmentAssemblyUpdating is off execution might fail on the target platform. (<snip>)

Edited by user Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:29:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:39:43 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, we fixed the Content Project name bug a month ago, but now with v0.9.4 it is back again. We have to check it again. I wrote down a bug for this. Thanks.

The EngineTypeList.xml warning will go away when ProjectContent is correctly generated (currently it is commented out).
Offline Benjamin  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:07:14 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

The Build Server was just updated (and some tools have also been updated for the next nightly release). This fixes many of the early problems when trying to build a sample (or own project) on Windows or Android. I just tested building the sample game Blocks via the Launcher on Android with different accounts. iOS also experimentally work, but we have no guide yet and there are still too many hacks in place. WP7 won't currently work because of missing XNA assemblies and we have not tested it much recently.

Here is the Guide for using the Launcher to build for Android:
http://deltaengine.net/Wiki.Launcher.ashx

Good luck and keep in mind we are still testing. Please report back problems in the appropriate forum section (Platforms for Build problems). Thanks.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:08:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Benjamin for this useful post.
kwkrass on 3/14/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed