Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline modular  
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2011 7:37:10 PM(UTC)
modular

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On the project ExampleToolWPF I went to MainWindow.xaml and I set the Width and Height of the Grid to NaN so it can be stretched as far as the window.

Code:

<Grid
			VerticalAlignment="Stretch"
			HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"
			Width="NaN"
			DockPanel.Dock="Right"
			Height="NaN">
			<WindowsFormsHost
				Name="ViewportHoster"></WindowsFormsHost>
		</Grid>

Good day! Smile
Offline Benjamin  
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:23:40 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
You can also remove Width and Height and just use DesignerWidth and DesignerHeight for the designer window, but allow whatever sizes (NaN is the default anyway for all these values). Maybe our 'Judge' can answer this in more detail, he is the WPF expert ^^
Offline Cr3dos  
#27 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 9:40:58 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi, wasn't today the release of the new update(0.8.7)?

Quote:
v0.8.7: More work on Samples, 2D/3D Games Support (2011-09-05), ShaderEditor, ContentManager, Delta.Rendering improvements, InputSystem commands, more Wiki, Samples and Tutorial work.
Offline kwkrass  
#28 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 9:45:18 PM(UTC)
kwkrass

the new release will come at the end of this week .. sorry for the delay. I am sure Benjamin will give an update as well :)
Offline Benjamin  
#29 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2011 10:17:58 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, as it was posted on the main page and noted in the v0.8.6.1 email. v0.8.7 is also not that exciting yet, it just features the ContentManager tool and some improvements on the samples and tutorials :)
Offline Benjamin  
#30 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:19:16 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

While v0.8.7 was on a pretty good track this week, we have 81 new features completed and 68 bug fixes (about 1-2 days of real work left, but 3 extra days of testing all the new features easily), we still have not tested much of the new features (especially the huge number of changes in content, scenes and UI plus the many fixes in physics and rendering). I just added support for 4 more content types (UIScreens, Materials, Models and Cameras) and many of the old content types (especially 3D meshes, shaders and scenes) have not been tested much. So instead of releasing an unfinished and untested version this week I just decided to delay v0.8.7 for a week to allow additional testing and a more useful ContentManager tool. This gives us also time to finish up some samples and tutorials, port some wiki pages over and make sure all the test and code work just fine (last release was overshadowed by server problems).

While this might be annoying for the people awaiting v0.8.7, it hopefully won't affect many people and this delayed v0.8.7 release is going to help us out for v0.9.0 as well as we want to do all this for the public release anyway. Having tons of known issues and extra bug reports is only going to slow us down. Sorry for the bad news Sad
Offline Amer  
#31 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 10:39:49 PM(UTC)
Amer

Originally Posted by: zato_1one Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke Go to Quoted Post
For the 2D Physics I also have no idea whats wrong because I just re-tested it and it works fine. Maybe I missed something, but as I wrote in the release notes physics is still very much broken, I disabled all the 3d Tutorials for now.

I will copy my problem to this thread. Somehow, I can fix the problem with physics and can finally execute the 2D tutorial.

I add this line
Quote:
Settings.Modules.PhysicsModule = "Farseer";
in Simple2DSimulation static method in Tutorials.cs

I built the solution again and the tutorial worked! But somehow, after it worked, it looks like this line wasn't needed anymore. I deleted it and I even commented this line in Main static method in Program.cs too. I built the solution again and it didn't effect any 2D tutorials. They all works fine now. For some reasons, the engine seemed to unable to detect physics engine when I first built from the original source file. I hope this info can help you debug it. But the tutorial still has rendering issue.

rendering issue

Thanks for reporting this, the bug was fixed in 0.8.7.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:57:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#32 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:11:00 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Just a little update on v0.8.7, which is most likely coming tomorrow (Sunday evening). We fixed 93 additional bugs and improved many features this week and I just finished rewriting all connection methods to be always asynchronous (before it supported both modes, synchronously and asynchronously and caused lots of headaches). While all tools and the initial startup are now many times faster, some of the old methods are not fully tested. It will take another day to test all issues and fix some of the new features. More details about what has been done will also be posted on http://DeltaEngine.net/Wiki.Roadmap.

Sorry for all these delays, remember that we target the v0.9.0 release in 2 weeks and this intermediate release was just for the ContentManager tool, but now has already all the benefits of v0.9.0 ^^
Offline Cr3dos  
#33 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:39:35 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think it's better to test longer than release an update with bugs.

Quote:
Sorry for all these delays, remember that we target the v0.9.0 release in 2 weeks and this intermediate release was just for the ContentManager tool, but now has already all the benefits of v0.9.0 ^^

Does that mean 0.8.7 comes with all this features too?
Offline Fusspawn  
#34 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:00:14 PM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As much as ive been waiting for this private beta to release so i can get in and try the engine (seriously, I think my f5 key is due to break soon the amount ive been spamming it today..)

I think we would all rather wait a day and let you have a chance to fix things.

EDIT: I was about to mention that the frontpage probally needed updating to reflect the change, then i refreshed again to see it already had been and the new example video was up (Nice video btw). Damn you web Ninjas.

Edited by user Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:03:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline zato_1one  
#35 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:12:25 PM(UTC)
zato_1one

First impression is very very important. I wouldn't mind if 0.9 will be delayed for a bug fixed. When it goes public, It would be ugly if new users download Delta Engine and find out that many samples don't work as expect. But I have confidence that you can pull it off.

The important thing is that you have to keep us up to date with the progress. Cool
Offline Benjamin  
#36 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:23:31 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Thanks for the nice words. I will put up a version once I added lots of new content features to give interested people an update and also to give you an insight of the new content manager system plus many things that already hint to the Launcher to be released in v0.9.0. It also helps us to see where it still hurts. It will probably take some extra days to get stuff stable enough for the tools (currently I am working only on unit tests, which is much quicker than going though tools for testing).

I guess the front page and feature page of the Delta Engine was also misleading for some people. Some marketing texts that were written almost a year ago did not make much sense anymore. Especially the thing about a "magic" button was misleading IMO, I already removed it. We will also make sure that you know what works and what does not work yet before you download the public beta v0.9.0. This way early adopters can take a look and get started and people or companies that want a stable release with some games already finished on this platform can wait a few more months (or wait all the way for v1.0).

The good thing is that now a lot of the work from the last few years comes together and we will be able to push out many tools and features over the next few months without much of an effort because it all was developed before and we just bring it into a useful and releasable form tested with the new engine. For me most work is to completely change things around: For example the whole services approach we only started a few months ago, before that you had to start lots of custom tools, not only is this now done via tools remotely, it also makes you think a lot about making things easier when you working on the problems from a distance now. For example if you build content on the server with an extra tool (we called it ContentGenerator, it was started by invocation of the game team) you take a very different approach than doing it remotely and in the background for every single content file you ever process. Some things like atlas generation are much harder because you don't know when the next file is coming, other things are much easier because adding a new shader and automatically generating code for it remotely is much easier than having to invoke or start some tools.

Edited by user Monday, September 19, 2011 2:22:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#37 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:27:49 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Dominik Go to Quoted Post
I think it's better to test longer than release an update with bugs.

Quote:

Does that mean 0.8.7 comes with all this features too?

Yes, pretty much. We have about 4 branches, some of them are not merged into v0.8.7 yet (like the new Input Commands coming in v0.9.0), but others are (all the fixes, all the new ContentManager tool and service changes, all the launcher improvements). Most changes these weeks and probably in the upcoming months will however not be on the engine side, but on the online services side to optimize content and code generation and add more and more features and platforms.

This is also why we want to make as much engine code changes as possible for v0.8.7 to let v0.9.0 and upcoming releases be as stable as possible. All content classes now work the same way (before, some had Get, some Create methods, some were created with new, some had internal caching, some had caching one level up, etc.). There will obviously be more changes in the future, especially under the cover, but we need a good reason to make any of the interfaces change.
Offline Fusspawn  
#38 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:03:25 PM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke (DeltaEngine) Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the nice words. I will probably put up a version today to give interested people an update and also to give you an insight of the new content manager system plus many things that already hint to the Launcher to be released in v0.9.0. It also helps us to see where it still hurts

Yay, Cant wait to give it ago.
Offline elasto  
#39 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:26:19 PM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
As keen as I am to get my hands on the DE framework, I too would prefer it delayed a week or two than released with known bugs. eg. It's not helpful for me to lose a week trying to figure out why some sample code I've imported into my project doesn't work only to find out the bug is in the sample code itself!

Really, so long as the detailed documentation and wiki are published in a timely manner so that I can position my game to transfer across as smoothly as possible, I'll be more than happy with that for now. Personally I'm not expecting to be making use of many if any of the editors (except perhaps managing content), it's all about the core stability and robustness of the engine itself for me.

Edited by user Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:28:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Fusspawn  
#40 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 11:03:04 AM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Did it get pushed back again or am i just not looking in the right places?
Offline Benjamin  
#41 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 11:20:24 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, still testing. One of the problems is that once I put the changes on the development server, v0.8.6 will not longer work, so I try to make sure everything works and v0.8.7 can be pushed to avoid any downtime.
Offline Fusspawn  
#42 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2011 11:32:23 AM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Thats cool, Was just checking it wasnt me being blind or something :)
Offline Fusspawn  
#43 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:40:36 AM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Has the release been skipped? should we just wait for the public beta at the end of the month?
Offline Benjamin  
#44 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:28:28 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Not really decided yet, but I thought about skipping it yesterday because the whole team worked the past days exclusively on the Launcher and build stuff (for v0.9.0). But today I am back to improving some ContentManager things, which could be released in v0.8.7 together with the rest of the changes from the past weeks sometime this week (for few people helping us testing, lets just say Friday ^^). Lots of major changes will also prevent v0.8.6 from working online when the next release is made.
Offline zato_1one  
#45 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:49:32 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

If you want to skip 0.8.7, do you think it's better to release 0.9 in private beta first for about a week? Just to make sure that everything works fine according to plan. Smile
Offline Fusspawn  
#46 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:48:54 AM(UTC)
Fusspawn

Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke (DeltaEngine) Go to Quoted Post
Not really decided yet, but I thought about skipping it yesterday because the whole team worked the past days exclusively on the Launcher and build stuff (for v0.9.0). But today I am back to improving some ContentManager things, which could be released in v0.8.7 together with the rest of the changes from the past weeks sometime this week (for few people helping us testing, lets just say Friday ^^). Lots of major changes will also prevent v0.8.6 from working online when the next release is made.

Thats cool, waiting for a better release is always good, Just excited to be able to start using the engine :D
Offline Benjamin  
#47 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:49:33 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: zato_1one Go to Quoted Post
If you want to skip 0.8.7, do you think it's better to release 0.9 in private beta first for about a week? Just to make sure that everything works fine according to plan. Smile

Well, we put all of our effort towards v0.9.0 since we want to keep the public beta release date at 30. September.

But it is true that v0.9.1 coming in October will probably be more stable and useful since we are introducing lots of new stuff (however mostly on the server side, which we can improve anytime, one of the advantages having online services). What is important however is that the classes and namespaces are now pretty fixed and upgrading the v0.9.x versions should be much more painless than in v0.8.x.
Offline Benjamin  
#48 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:35:39 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Just to let you guys know: There will be no more v0.8.7 release. Today we changed too many things that would affect any release too and we much rather test the Launcher and ContentManager tools together and not as separate things (both use now the same basic libraries and network messages). I hope this does not affect too many people, but it will save us a few days of time and focus our efforts towards v0.9.0, which is just one week and one day away anyway :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed