Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline vrenken  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 12:55:37 PM(UTC)
vrenken

Hi,

i've created a new project based on the empty app template.

When i use the App Builder to create a Web/Android/Windows package all goes well.

However, when i start adding my code the App builder only gives errors.

Trying to pinpoint the problem got me to the project attached to this post.
Basically only the snippet below is needed to reproduce:

Code:

using DeltaEngine.Core;
using DeltaEngine.Platforms;
using System.Collections.Generic;

namespace BreakerTestApp
{
    public class Program : App
	{
        private readonly Dictionary<System.Type, Test> Mappings = new Dictionary<System.Type, Test>();

public Program()
		{
            new ColorChanger(Resolve<Window>());
            Mappings.Add(this.GetType(), new Test()
            {
                member = "BaadFood"
            });
		}

public static void Main()
		{
            new Program().Run();
		}
	}

public class Test
    {
        public string member;
    }
}

Even this snippet gives me errors.

Any idea what is going on?
I would really like to test the game prototype i'm developing on an Android device, but that's quite a bit more code then the snippet below.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Vrenken

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline vrenken  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 12:57:27 PM(UTC)
vrenken

Hmz, i seem to be unable to upload the zip file with the project. :-(
Offline Michael Koch  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 3:28:57 PM(UTC)
Michael Koch

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Peter Vrenken Go to Quoted Post
Hmz, i seem to be unable to upload the zip file with the project. :-(

I believe that is the same issue as with attaching a picture: Tried that earlier and got sort of of a server side rights-issue (write access not allowed or so). I'll make a test post to verify and submit a bug report if applicable. FYI.

Edited by user Monday, January 6, 2014 3:30:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 3:46:04 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Thanks for the source code Peter, should be enough to reproduce the issue. There are some things in that code that might be not converted correctly, usually we just have a Main method and one line constructor in Program.cs (or any tutorial, which does a bit more), so more testing is required.
Offline vrenken  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 4:07:38 PM(UTC)
vrenken

Hi Benjamin,

thanks in advance!

I'll fiddle around with my code some more as well.

Just out of curiosity, or maybe an idea: Are there any guidelines available to keep the App Builder working?
For example a list of do's and don'ts? Or some description on which BCL namespaces we should stay away from?

Regards,

Peter Vrenken
Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 6:02:12 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, it is right here: http://deltaengine.net/features/frameworksupport

Keep in mind that we still have some ugly bugs and issues from late 2013 we have to fix. We plan to have a more stable release by the end of January.

Also more information is coming soon on: http://deltaengine.net/about/roadmap
Offline vrenken  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:53:35 AM(UTC)
vrenken

Thanks for the list.

One last question: How should we troubleshoot app builder errors? I'm getting a NullReferenceExceptions without file/line/column data and have no clue on their origins.
Is there an way we can get more information about these errors?

Regards,

Peter Vrenken
Offline Benjamin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:58:34 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

I guess you are using the v1.0 release and the release version of the AppBuilder (pointing to DeltaEngine.net). If you would use the nightly release version it is a debug version (pointing to Test.DeltaEngine.net) and it will give a lot more information about the build process.

You are totally right that a line/column number with file information is needed, but I guess you do not see it because the conversion fails at another point (not at the compiling stage). The platform team is very busy this week and will get back on that issue next week.
Offline vrenken  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:36:53 PM(UTC)
vrenken

Hi Benjamin,

I've just installed the nightly build (1.0.0.2), but something wacky is going on.

Even creating an app from the EmptyApp project template fails:

BuildError: vrenkensEmptyApp - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.SolutionBuilders.SolutionBuilder.Build(Solution solution) in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\SolutionBuilders\SolutionBuilder.cs:line 24
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Windows.WindowsAppGenerator.BuildSolution() in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Windows\WindowsAppGenerator.cs:line 34
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Windows.WindowsAppGenerator.Generate(Solution solution, ContentSaver contentSaver, AppSettings settings) in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Windows\WindowsAppGenerator.cs:line 15
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Server.AppBuilder.GenerateAppPackage(AppGenerator appGenerator, Solution convertedSolution) in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Server\AppBuilder.cs:line 264
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Server.AppBuilder.TryBuildConvertedCode(AppGenerator appGenerator, Solution convertedSolution) in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Server\AppBuilder.cs:line 241
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Server.AppBuilder.BuildConvertedCode(Solution convertedSolution) in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Server\AppBuilder.cs:line 222
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Server.AppBuilder.TryBuildApp() in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Server\AppBuilder.cs:line 117
at DeltaEngineServices.Build.Server.AppBuilder.BuildApp() in c:\code\DeltaEngineServices\Build\Server\AppBuilder.cs:line 75

could it be that the test server is failing?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Vrenken
Offline Benjamin  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:37:23 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Hi Peter,

Sorry for that issue. The v1.0.0.2 release is a month old already and we are trying to fix the nightly releases right now. This week some other issues and fixes consumed all work, but in a few days the nightly builds should be up again and then you can get all the new code from the recent weeks.

The SolutionBuilder issue is a known bug from v1.0.0.0, which was fixed on the stable build server already. I assume you are using the beta server (test.deltaengine.net, the default for nightly releases), which has not been updated yet. I have written down a bug report for that.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed