Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gamewriter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:29:11 AM(UTC)
Gamewriter

I carefully watched Soulcraft and saw that the landscape is scrolling by in three dimensions, but the camera is restricted to a certain height above the ground. All the other Delta Engine samples I found either show the same effect, or are 2D games.

In the samples I've seen, the Delta Engine camera doesn't go down under objects, through doors, etc. Is it possible to make, for example, a first person shooter with Delta Engine? Can you make light sources that cast shadows and other features typically found in 3D games?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline internetfreak  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:46:16 AM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I don't know how far the engine has come regarding 3D because I'm more or less a pure 2D developer (I cannot model objects and I like 2D so I stay with 2D graphics) but I don't see any reason why you should not be able to create a FPS.
I think Soulcraft uses a modified version of DE but feature from there will be surely backported at some time in the future so we all can profit from them.
For specific details you should wait for Benjamin because I'm not really informed about 3D (reason is in the first sentence :) )
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:01:18 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Sure you can. The camera has nothing to do with light effects or shaders. Different games are implemented differently and use different 3D features. The engine does not really care about that, we try to support all kind of games.

It is true that our current focus is 2D games while the Creepy Towers and Soulcraft teams work on their 3D stuff. Doing any kind of 3D is however always possible, just more work. We plan to support more 3D basic features in Milestone 5. Currently simple cameras, 3D vertices and rendering is possible, but this is far from complete.
thanks 1 user thanked Benjamin for this useful post.
Gamewriter on 8/13/2013(UTC)
Offline Gamewriter  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:30:25 PM(UTC)
Gamewriter

What 3D basic features will be featured in Milestone 5?
Offline Gamewriter  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:44:02 PM(UTC)
Gamewriter

Here's my situation: We want our game to have a four square kilometer island; a mountainous terrain with lots of plants, a terrain that fades into the fog the further from the camera it is (well I assume we want that, since rendering the entire island for every frame is probably impossible), and we want animated dinosaurs that freely roam through it. It will be kind of a God game with the user hovering overhead like in Soulcraft. However, the user will also be able to become a dinosaur and walk through the terrain from the dino's point of view, walking under the leaves of giant plants. We think the dinos will be FBX models exported from Maya.

We must make a choice of game engine and it's down to SunBurn and Delta Engine. Our programmer, who is used to XNA, likes the look of SunBurn with it's built-in abilities for shadow maps, ambient occlusion, etc. We have only a single light source (the sun), and although cool stuff like back lit translucent leaves, depth of field and god rays shining through the fog is desirable, I'd prefer that he not to have to write shaders for each platform and just use whatever is available in Delta Engine. Trouble is, I'm just not sure what is available. When I go to the features page of other game engines, it's filled with info about Rendering, Materials and Shaders, Audio and Sound, and so on. The Delta Engine features page doesn't have that kind of info.

Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:49:46 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Depends on your timetable. If you want a fully working engine, pick one that has been around for years. We have quite different goals from SunBurn and you are right, they have some nice rendering features we never focused on. However if you have a skilled programmer willing to implement rendering features you can achieve the same things in a more multi-platform compatible way.

Currently I cannot recommend DE for 3D games as Milestone 4 focuses on 2D game creation. Milestone 5 should have much better support for 3D model importing and some early 3D rendering features, but even that will be far from complete.
Offline Gamewriter  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:00:31 PM(UTC)
Gamewriter

Thanks.

I see that Xbox is planned for Milestone 2-5. Does that mean 2 through 5, meaning it's being worked on now and you plan to complete it by Milestone 5?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed