Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gamewriter  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:03:18 AM(UTC)
Gamewriter

My screen appears the same as the 6:04 point in the tutorial, but Renderer and ColoredRectangle could not be found. Is this an outdated tutorial? If so, shouldn't it be removed or replaced? If not, what might I be doing wrong?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline Benjamin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:27:24 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Yes, it is outdated. The new website with tons of tutorials is coming online later this week.

Renderer is not longer needed and ColoredRectangle does not exist, you can just create a new FilledRect this way:

new FilledRect(new Rectangle(0.3f, 0.3f, 0.4f, 0.4f), Color.Blue);

For more check the tests in DeltaEngine.Rendering.Tests.Shapes:
https://github.com/Delta...r/Rendering/Tests/Shapes
Offline Gamewriter  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 2:49:11 AM(UTC)
Gamewriter

Thanks Ben. I've been researching game engines for our company and I've narrowed it down to Delta Engine, SunBurn, MonoGame and Axiom3D because they support the platforms we are targeting (Windows, iOS, Xbox Live Indie Games). The other thing they all have in common is outdated tutorials (or none at all). Since the tutorial area is one of the first things a new user is likely to encounter when visiting a site, I think an well-vetted ramp-up tutorial should be a priority. Show how to build a simple game from scratch, like Microsoft did years ago with XNA Game Studio, and feature it on your home page.

I often see forums that are full of year old posts begging for a good ramp-up tutorial. You would really set yourself apart if you could supply that. The best way to prove the super-easy porting is to have visitors do it themselves. You don't even need a ton of tutorials. Having been both a teacher and video production company owner, I'm convinced that if you hire a good in-house tutorial writer and concentrate on posting a good "getting started" tutorial that always stays current, you will blow the competition out of the water. I say in-house because he/she would need to be in constant contact with developers to track changes.

Growth is in the visitors and a well-organized teaching section is like fly-paper for people. If you don't do it, the competition might beat you to the punch.

Offline Benjamin  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 3:33:02 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Thanks for the comment and tip. We have a similar opinion of creating tutorials and I have a pretty good track record crating tutorials back in 2005 for MDX (Rocket Commander on Coding4Fun with several 100k views), then a lot of XNA tutorials and writing books about it.

Sadly we did not have the time to focus on this, but for Milestone 4 coming this week we have prepared 60 easy to follow tutorials and more help is planned.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed