Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline lotodore  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:14:52 PM(UTC)
lotodore

Hi,

I was just trying the LogoApp tutorial available on youtube using the latest release of the delta engine. It seems that the engine interface is far from stable :-) as there is no more "Renderer" or "ColoredRectangle", instead there is DeltaEngine.Rendering.Shapes.Rect. Also, the test app does not terminate properly on my system.

I'm using Windows 8 with Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop. I installed DeltaEngine.OpenTK using nuget (seems to have replaced the one which was named DeltaEngine.OpenGL), and created a project using .net framework 4.0. I switched to x86 target (otherwise there is an exception when starting the test program). The program now looks like this (similar to youtube tutorial):

Code:
using DeltaEngine.Datatypes;
using DeltaEngine.Platforms;
using DeltaEngine.Rendering.Shapes;
using System;

namespace DeltaTest
{
	class Program
	{
		static void Main()
		{
			new App().Start<Box>();
		}
	}

class Box : Rect
	{
		public Box()
			: base(new Rectangle(0.2f, 0.2f, 0.6f, 0.6f), Color.Blue)
		{ }
	}
}

This code starts fine, but when I close the Window, it simply does not terminate. It terminates some threads,

Der Thread 'vshost.RunParkingWindow' (0xc90) hat mit Code 0 (0x0) geendet.
Der Thread '<Kein Name>' (0x17d0) hat mit Code 0 (0x0) geendet.

but continues to run. I have to terminate debugging in order to quit it. If I try to pause it, to retrieve a call stack, Visual Studio will simply block.

Is this a bug or is there something missing in the tutorial code which is required in the later version of the engine?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline elasto  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:57:24 AM(UTC)
elasto

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi lotodore!

Yes, the engine has changed a lot over the last two months with the introduction of Entities, and it's not done yet; This week further changes got made simplifying how the Entity System is used.

That bug is a bit of a strange one and I was the only person in the team it seemed to affect; Like you I had to click Stop manually. But it got fixed a month or two ago for me: Now when I close the LogoApp window the whole app terminates just as it should.

You say you installed DE's OpenTK using nuget; I wonder, what's the date on that - when was it uploaded? Maybe it's simply out of date.

(Seems odd to me that nuget overwrites DE dll's also, but maybe that's intended. Someone else will have to chime in on that - perhaps Hendrik?)

- Phil
Offline mc-kay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:22:03 PM(UTC)
mc-kay

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Please try the latest v0.9.8.0 NuGet release, there I cant reproduce the issue anymore.
Please note that it take a few second for the App to exit, so when you close the window the thread is not terminated immediately.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:50:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed