Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JamesR  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:49:23 PM(UTC)
JamesR

Hi,
I'm going to attempt to start trying to use the Delta engine.
I have d/l the current release and VSdesktop.
I have managed to open the samples 'solution' and separately the delta engine 'solution' in VSE.
I have set under references in the samples to restore nuget packages.
How can I get the samples to work.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline internetfreak  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:31:19 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
First, welcome to the DeltaEngine forums.
When you downloaded the Source of Delta, simply open the DeltaEngine.Samples solution and try to run any sample. if nuget is correctly setup (which is the case as you said) then it should work.
To run any sample, right-click on the sample project and choose "As Start project" (can be different, don't know the english expression) and then hit F5 to start the project which is marked in a bold font.
Otherwise you can choose Debug and then New Instance but choosing it as startproject should also be fine.

If you have trouble, just ask and we will help
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:11:37 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
If you have trouble with compiling some sample or opening a solution, please tell us the exact error message you get in case it does not work so we can help and improve the process for the future. Thanks.
Offline JamesR  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:52:49 PM(UTC)
JamesR

Ok, well. I've set one of the games to 'set as StartupProject' and clicked on start. I had a small window flash up and disappear and this is what I get from the output window.
So either I haven't done something right or not at all, but thought I had. (Doesn't surprise me.)

Quote:
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities\11.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync\11.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime\11.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'F:\DOWNLOAD\DeltaEngine-master\DeltaEngine-master\Samples\BowlingGame\bin\Debug\BowlingGame.vshost.exe', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
The thread 'vshost.NotifyLoad' (0x3770) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x1700) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x1308) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'vshost.LoadReference' (0x83c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'BowlingGame.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'F:\DOWNLOAD\DeltaEngine-master\DeltaEngine-master\Samples\BowlingGame\bin\Debug\BowlingGame.exe', Symbols loaded.
The thread 'vshost.RunParkingWindow' (0x3ef8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x3f58) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[432] BowlingGame.vshost.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Offline JamesR  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:54:17 PM(UTC)
JamesR

Breakout works, so maybe its just the bowling... Exciting stuff.

Well for now anyway.
Offline internetfreak  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:24:38 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The bowling sample seems to be a WIP, it's only normal that the console window flashes up for a second. But if it worked with the other games, then you have done everything right
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline JamesR  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:50:18 AM(UTC)
JamesR

Brilliant, though being new to the code it looks like it would be a huge undertaking to get anything workable by writing code myself. Up to me I guess.
Offline Flavio Damasco  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:46:35 PM(UTC)
Flavio Damasco

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all!

James, thanks for posting your error message!

I am asking a colleague to give you a proper answer! He will write you asap! ;)
UserPostedImage
Offline Benedict  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:56:42 PM(UTC)
Benedict

Good Evening!

Flavio told me you might need some support.
As for the "Bowling Game", the name and especially the icon might suggest a completely different thing for a purpose than what it actually is. In fact, all it does is calculating a score by the rules of Bowling and writes a line to the console containing the result.

If you call the compiled program inside an already opened console window, you should be able to read it instead of having it flash for a fraction of a second.

Certainly, instead of that fixed call of the things inside it, it should take arguments, maybe from a text file, or even from an actual game of Bowling that it would be integrated into.

Also, what you see in your output window does not really suggest any problems, everything exited with code 0 and it just tells you about all the things that are loaded and what options are enabled for your debugger.

Of the samples currently shipped with the engine, you might consider looking into "Breakout" and "Asteroids", since both of them are actually running games containing logics, rendering and anything else required for some minutes of fun.

To start off your own project with most necessary options prepared by us, you can use the "Empty Game" as a template for new VS-Projects.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:03:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JamesR  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:39:50 PM(UTC)
JamesR

That's great, looks like I'll have to get my head around the code really. I haven't got asteroids in the most recent release.
I've got Blobs, bowling breakout and logo.

The first thing I guess is to try and work out which bits of code go under head heading.
I.e the function of Properties, references, content etc.

As I've just come from using 3d engines, this is like using flash builder and minko (which does 3d quite nicely). Although I don't know if the toolset is going to include a 3d style interface with a 3d scene, import and manipulate objects onscreen or just 3d capabilities. If so I might need some serious C# book reading to do.

One thing I've realised (I'm a novice to this style of working, although have use python without a scene builder for the raspberry pi) is that I'm not sure how then than things like XNA actually intergrate into it. (It'll be obvious to you guys but not me I'm afraid.)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed