Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Benjamin  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:44:39 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Hi everyone,

after one week of extra polishing and testing we have now finally released Milestone 2. Sorry for the delay and silence in the last few weeks. We have grown from a small 3-4 people company to a huge enterprise (just kidding, but we are now 18 people working on the Delta Engine and Starter Kits, pew). Lots of time had to be spend in finding the right people and now in training them.

Starting with the Game Jam on Thursday we will also release each sprint (once per week) and try to involve the community more. Internetfreak and a few others in the forum were already a big help in the last months helping to test issues.

Milestone 2 features the Breakout Game (see attached screenshot). We will explain a bit more in the upcoming days with a few videos and tutorials on how to get started and create simple 2D games (nothing more is currently supported). Windows Phone and Windows 8 are also working now really well with the Milestone 2 and we will begin pushing the tools in the next sprints.

To download just use GitHub, CodePlex, Zip & Installer links are coming soon: https://github.com/DeltaEngine/DeltaEngine

The plan for Milestone 3 (in the next 3 months) is to support more and more platforms and slowly get back to the feature set of the good old Delta Engine v0.9.5.
Benjamin attached the following image(s):
Milestone2BreakoutStarterKit.jpg (121kb) downloaded 34 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 4 users thanked Benjamin for this useful post.
Barsack on 2/4/2013(UTC), internetfreak on 2/4/2013(UTC), panky on 2/7/2013(UTC), Joerg Schaum on 2/8/2013(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline dwandless  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:26:26 PM(UTC)
dwandless

I pulled into a fresh directory and after granting NuGet permission to download missing packages I am getting compile errors due to missing assets.

Error 4 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Samples\LogoApp\Content\DeltaEngineLogo.png" because it was not found. LogoApp
Error 5 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Samples\LogoApp\Content\DeltaEngineLogo.xnb" because it was not found. LogoApp
Error 6 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Samples\Breakout\Content\Ball.png" because it was not found. Breakout

Error 28 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Rendering\Tests\Content\DeltaEngineLogo.xnb" because it was not found. DeltaEngine.Rendering.Tests

Error 30 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Graphics\Tests\Content\DeltaEngineLogo.xnb" because it was not found. DeltaEngine.Graphics.Tests
Error 32 Could not copy the file "....Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\DeltaEngine\DeltaEngine\Multimedia\Tests\Content\DefaultSound.xnb" because it was not found. DeltaEngine.Multimedia.Tests

etc.

Content is not in git.
https://github.com/Delta...e/master/Samples/LogoApp
Offline Valik  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:54:06 PM(UTC)
Valik

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I tried to open "DeltaEngineVS2010Express.sln" and got this error (like DE-MS1 with VS2010):
"Die ausgewählte Datei ist eine Projektmappendatei, wurde jedoch mit einer neueren Version
dieser Anwendung erstellt und kann nicht geöffnet werden."

mfg Valentin
Offline internetfreak  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:26:23 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Very nice :)
Too bad that codeplex isn't supported yet, I already have mecurial installed and I have to install git if I want to pull now but normally, I try to avoid everything I don't need.
But still good that the MS is offically released, now it should have my minimum required featureset to create something
Mein Blog: www.internetfreak.net

- Inoffizieller DeltaEngine-Supporter und Tutorialschreiber -
Offline Benjamin  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:26:24 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Duane Go to Quoted Post
I pulled into a fresh directory and after granting NuGet permission to download missing packages I am getting compile errors due to missing assets. ... Content is not in git.
https://github.com/Delta...e/master/Samples/LogoApp

Sorry about that, the .gitignore file excluded all content files Confused I added them manually earlier, but I guess they were excluded again. Now they are not longer excluded for Milestone 2 until content downloading is available. Please pull the latest commit.

Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:27:49 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: internetfreak Go to Quoted Post
Very nice :)
Too bad that codeplex isn't supported yet, I already have mecurial installed and I have to install git if I want to pull now but normally, I try to avoid everything I don't need.
But still good that the MS is offically released, now it should have my minimum required featureset to create something

Don't worry, it is coming soon, I am working on it. Normally our automated process should take care of this, but something is failing and I didn't want to postpone the release longer, so I pushed it manually.
Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:30:59 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Valik Go to Quoted Post
I tried to open "DeltaEngineVS2010Express.sln" and got this error (like DE-MS1 with VS2010):
"Die ausgewählte Datei ist eine Projektmappendatei, wurde jedoch mit einer neueren Version
dieser Anwendung erstellt und kann nicht geöffnet werden."

Not sure why this happens to you. Maybe you have an older version of VS2010? I have tested it with XNA Game Studio Express, Visual Studio 2010 Express SP1 and Visual studio 2010 SP1 (Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel).

I also tested it with the latest SharpDevelop 4.3 release and it seemed to work out of the box. Let me know if you can't get it working and please give us your exact version number so we can test it in that situation as well. Thanks.
Offline Benjamin  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 7:11:34 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Milestone 2 Neptune is now available on CodePlex as well: https://deltaenginedotne...eControl/list/changesets
Offline umityildiz  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:31:02 PM(UTC)
umityildiz

When a binary package (Nuget) will be ready?
Offline Cr3dos  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:04:12 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The new release is already available as a nuget package. Look at the last update: 2/5/2013

Hint to Benjamin: You forgot to change the version number ;-)
Offline umityildiz  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:56:02 PM(UTC)
umityildiz

Quote:
Downloads of v 0.9.6.0
11/2/2012

I did not find.
Offline Cr3dos  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:40:44 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Hmm strange in my VS2010 it shows the date of today and on the nuget.org page 11/2/2012.

I referenced a demo project with the nuget package and it looks like that I'm wrong. Sorry for that.

Edit: The last updated is in every package the date of today Confused Must be a bug in my VS2010

Edited by user Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:44:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:29:00 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Yes, nuget packages have not been released because we had no time to actually test them as yesterday was filled with some investor meetings.

Nuget support will be coming shortly and we are also working on improving the process by providing an installer and tutorial videos on how to get started writing your first game with Milestone 2 Cool

Edited by user Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:29:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:45:36 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

The nuget packages now have been released and can be used like before to easily create Xna, DirectX or OpenGL games with the Delta Engine Milestone 2:
https://nuget.org/packages/DeltaEngine.OpenGL/
https://nuget.org/packages/DeltaEngine.DirectX/
https://nuget.org/packages/DeltaEngine.Xna/

There is a quick guide on how to use Nuget from November: http://blog.deltaengine....Get-and-DeltaEngine.aspx
I will create some videos on how to get started with Milestone 2 and creating the Breakout game tomorrow. Take care.
Offline Amer  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:32:22 AM(UTC)
Amer

Long time here :)
Congrats on milestone too, i'm porting this sample to Delta (http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/implementation/make-a-splash-with-2d-water-effects/), hope to post screenshots and video later :)

Amer

Edited by user Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:32:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:41:21 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Wow, that is pretty cool Cool
Offline Amer  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:58:47 PM(UTC)
Amer

Here you go :)
Later i'll post video and release code in showcase.

This showcase something really advanced.

UserPostedImage

Hope you like it.

Amer
Offline Benjamin  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:52:06 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

I also just uploaded a video explaining on how to get started with Milestone 2: http://blog.deltaengine.net

Edited by user Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:55:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed youtube link

Offline Cr3dos  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:28:55 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

On 14:10 the tutorial "starts again".
Offline panky  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:35:26 PM(UTC)
panky

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the update, nice job!

I've seen that in the previous release too, the names of interfaces doesn't follow the .net naming convention. Will be refactored in the future?
It took a while before I noticed what is an interface and what is an abstract class (or class as method parameter). I changed my syntax highlighting settings, but it helps a lot, if an interface starts with "I" :-) Especially in learning this engine.
Offline umityildiz  
#21 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 4:48:34 PM(UTC)
umityildiz

Tools, tools. Smile
Visual Studio project templates. Blink
Waiting for them. Smile

Edited by user Friday, February 8, 2013 10:06:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline internetfreak  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:23:07 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

I just downloaded MS2 from codeplex (you even didn't tell us that it's already available :( ) and I noticed that no precompiled DLLs are available. How do I now use the source version of Delta? I don't want to change the build path manually for each project because the changes will be lost when I update the solution. I also don't want to use NuGet for each project in my own solution.
I think I should reference the csproj of all needed DeltaEngine-Projects, right? With this I should always get the latest version in case of an update.

Offline Cr3dos  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:21:37 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Benjamin told us 4 days ago that the MS2 is now on codeplex ;-)
Another option would be to develop your game in the sample project

Is there a list of games which have been developed during the game jam :-)?

Edited by user Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:28:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline internetfreak  
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:29:40 PM(UTC)
internetfreak

@Dominik
Oh, how embarrassing, I didn't see the post from benjamin until now :( (even though I read this read multiple times to read all new posts)

About your suggestion to develop the game in the sample project, I can not use this approach for me because my project is a bit huge (I need several projects as class library etc) so this is not really useful.
I will find some way to use Delta :)
Maybe someone has another suggestion?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed