Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Benjamin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:50:07 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I just uploaded a short preview video about the Delta Engine v0.9.0 release Kirsten made, thanks :)

It shows a bunch of tools, tutorials and showcase games plus what you in the forum probably already know. The video will be put on the main page when v0.8.7 is released, but you can get a sneak preview right here :)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline saviilsy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:22:31 PM(UTC)
saviilsy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ThumpUp Looks great! No sneak preview from the material/shader editor though ;)
Offline Cr3dos  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:56:01 PM(UTC)
Cr3dos

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Great videoSmile

Do you work already on new platforms?
Offline mc-kay  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:57:02 PM(UTC)
mc-kay

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Nice, but did your forgot to remove the Fraps FPS counter because in the tutorials games there is always a yellow "2" on the left top left screen...?
Offline Benjamin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:17:17 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Hendrik Go to Quoted Post
Nice, but did your forgot to remove the Fraps FPS counter because in the tutorials games there is always a yellow "2" on the left top left screen...?

I was really confused by that post, "what yellow two?" I thought. Then I switched to 720p and saw it ^^ yes, it probably was used to take a screenshot from Visual Studio. It is not used in any of the videos however (then you would see it in the games and I would have noticed it). Maybe Kirsten can answer how this happened, but yes, Fraps is one of the tools we use (I also like Camtasia). ThumpUp
Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:18:13 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Dominik Go to Quoted Post
Great videoSmile

Do you work already on new platforms?

Not yet, we will focus on mobile platforms for v0.9.0 and v0.9.1, then add whatever is important next (probably web, consoles, etc.) and look into adding more platforms then.
Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:19:16 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Santtu Syrjä Go to Quoted Post
ThumpUp Looks great! No sneak preview from the material/shader editor though ;)

Well, the reason for that is that we probably won't finish the new Shader Node Editor this month. I will try to include our old Shader Feature Editor in v0.8.7 to allow creating shaders with the ContentManager tool I am currently working on ..
Offline saviilsy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:45:35 PM(UTC)
saviilsy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke Go to Quoted Post
Well, the reason for that is that we probably won't finish the new Shader Node Editor this month. I will try to include our old Shader Feature Editor in v0.8.7 to allow creating shaders with the ContentManager tool I am currently working on ..

This would be even more awesome <3 Pure awesomeness these days ;)
Offline modular  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:09:26 PM(UTC)
modular

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great video!!! DeltaEngine rocks game development, it's getting bigger and better.

Good to see that the old time classic XNA-Racer and the Dungeon demo work nice.

Oh, boy, I can't wait to try it and make some games... BigGrin ThumpUp

Keep it up!
Offline HellBlazer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:20:26 AM(UTC)
HellBlazer

Can you give some details about what kind of features to expect from the level editor? Is it simply a way to position all your models in a scene, or is it more than that? Is it only for 3D games? Considering our conversation in another thread, I assume it does not have any possibility of scripting for the moment?
Offline Benjamin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:52:00 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

The level editor is specific to the game SoulCraft and will not be included soon, at least not with all the features. It allows you to do lots of specific stuff for SoulCraft (triggers, setting up levels, effects, etc.). Due time constraints we will focus on one or two tools per month and we will first bring you the SceneEditor, which is also a kind of level editor, just a little more high level (you setup everything you need for levels or menus or scenes, and especially UI and UI screens with customizable themes, but you still have to do code behind for any game logic stuff).

Maybe Heiko can talk more about the level editor here since he wrote it Cool
Offline HellBlazer  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:02:27 AM(UTC)
HellBlazer

Ah OK, I thought the level editor was for 0.9 this month since it was mentioned in the video. Will that release include the SceneEditor then?
Offline Benjamin  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:09:48 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

It is just a preview video what is coming next, we probably won't have enough time to finish all tutorials and tools at once, so they will come one after another in the upcoming releases. We think we might add an early SceneEditor, but currently it is not very useful so we rather leave it out and provide something more useful and complete for version v0.9.1. Same goes with some of the sample games, Rocket Commander for example is working nicely from the game logic side, but we have not worked on the content yet (so it looks crappy) and have not tested it on all platforms (which makes it also useless).

Also more exciting for everyone when every month something new comes out BigGrin
Offline zato_1one  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:47:22 AM(UTC)
zato_1one

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Will your scene editor support both 2D game and 3D game when it's released? Can we directly drag/drop sprite/model and assign physics shape to it in scene editor or we still need to do it via coding? Just want to know what's to expect from the first release of scene editor. I'm sure it will support more convenient features in upcoming months. Keep up the great work! ThumpUp
Offline Benjamin  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:57:12 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

The scene editor is just for editing scenes, it does not care what you put into it. It is very high level and thus supports all parts of the engine (multimedia, rendering, UI, input, etc.). To do anything useful like editing a 3D level or creating a 2D jump'n'run level, you would need specific editors for that task (which then allow you to save this level and link it up in your scene). In the future there might also be some high level scripting, triggers and all that fun stuff, but currently Scene is just a bunch of high level objects, most importantly UI (which is what we focus on first, providing a great UI Editor, number one pain point reported by all game teams).
Offline helbards  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:14:23 PM(UTC)
helbards

Is there support for TFS 2010?
Offline Benjamin  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:44:38 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Originally Posted by: Pawel Sawicz Go to Quoted Post
Is there support for TFS 2010?

Do you mean the public beta code repository? CodePlex might support that somehow, but our default will be Mecurial.

For your own project you can obviously use whatever you like, we have no influence on how you setup your project, team, repository, extra tools, etc.

Btw: Here is a not-so-nice article about TFS, I tend to agree because I stopped using TFS 3 years ago and switched to Distributed Source Controlling instead (Git/Mecurial): http://www.derekhammer.c...evelopment-capacity.html

Edited by user Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:04:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Heiko  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:55:22 PM(UTC)
Heiko

Originally Posted by: Benjamin Nitschke Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Heiko can talk more about the level editor here since he wrote it Cool

Like Benjamin wrote, the editor is currently very Soulcraft specific.
The best we could do is strip it of all specific code, and make a generic-base editor out of it,
which supports things like placing meshes, entities, actors etc.
Any special game logic would need to be added by the specific game team.
Special game code in Soulcraft are for example path-node editing abilities and
collision mesh setup.

The editor itself is quite dynamic in its support for game-specific entites.
For your own game you would just have to replace the Soulcraft Base entitiy (BaseEntity),
with the Basic game object of your game and set up some Properties/Attributes inside those classes.
(Similar to using the WinForms Property Grid)

Example code.
Code:

// Show Dialog with all existing entities (derived from BaseEntity)
AddEntityWithDialog(typeof(BaseEntity));

// Show Dialog with all entities deriving from BaseTrigger (->Shows available Triggers to choose from)
AddEntityWithDialog(typeof(BaseTrigger));

// Show Dialog with all entities deriving from BaseEnemy (->Shows available Enemies)
AddEntityWithDialog(typeof(BaseEnemy));

// Example Setup for Position Property, which shows up and is editable in editor afterwards
[Browsable(true)]
[Category("General")]
[Description("Position of entity in world space")]
public Vector Position
{
  get;
  set;
}

We will discuss how we strip down the editor and make it into an extensible generic base editor.
Stay tuned^^

-Heiko

Edited by user Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:06:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Benjamin  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:27:14 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Good post from Heiko. I just wanted to add that we have planed about 10 Editors for the v1.0 release next year. We plan to add one editor per month (of course they will be improved over time and some editors might not be useful in the first month, but we will get there).

You can check out the content formats and link to the editors here: http://DeltaEngine.net/Wiki.ContentFormats
Offline helbards  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:55:52 PM(UTC)
helbards

Thanks for reply, I have another question , are you providing sample games ?
Offline Benjamin  
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:22:34 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

We currently have 4-5 sample games and plan to add a new one every month (getting more and more complex with 3D, Starter Kits and so on). Current games are: Breakout (see video), Blocks (see video), Pong (see video), CarGame (new in v0.8.7) plus lots of smaller samples and tutorials showing how to do things.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed