Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MartinHageras  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 9:28:55 PM(UTC)
MartinHageras

Hi,

I just downloaded DE to try it out and was at first surprised and impressed to see so many samples included!
However, most of them don't work properly and some don't work at all.

Problems i have encountered include:

Most of the samples fail to get all or some of the required images from the server. Sort of disappointing. If you can't even keep your samples content server in sync with your samples, I can't help but wonder how you'll be able to handle the real build servers.

The Sample browser crashes a lot. Usually when trying to open source code.

The included sample source code is sometimes a single file, sometimes a project and mostly doesn't build or run without manual fixing.

Controls not working in several samples.

Start Exe works for some samples, and not for some.

Almost every sample generates an error log after running.

I'm researching a cross platform game engine (like most people who come here most likely) and initially had high hopes for your product. This disappointing experience with not even getting the samples to run properly has put me off a bit though.
If you expect me, or anyone really, to invest time and money in your DE product you really need to prove that you can deliver.

/Martin

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum accountregister a new account. Or Connect via Facebook Twitter Google

Offline lebobbi  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 9:47:39 PM(UTC)
lebobbi

Hi, Martin.

I'm also relative new to the Delta Engine, and I have big expectations for it, but... in its final release. Currently is still in beta stage, so there are still a lot of things that needs to be fixed and improved.

I have seen in the forums that work has been done through the different iterations, and that is an active project.

I still considered that the brand promise is a good one, for C# developers like myself, and I'm looking forward to see the final product.

It's just my opinion though, if you're deadline for a game can't wait maybe you could take a look to more mature engines in the meantime, but probably should come back a little later to see how DE has improved.

Regards,
Bob.

Offline MartinHageras  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 10:08:06 PM(UTC)
MartinHageras

Hi Bob,

Yes I know it's a beta, and I agree that you should expect bugs. But if you include a samples browser application in a beta of a commercial product you ought to make sure it works and convinces people that you know your stuff. The way it's working now makes me mostly UN-convinced.

I have no doubts that the DE people know their game engine stuff. What I'm worried about is the build servers/content managers that are supposed to automatically port your application to different platforms. I make software for a living and I know how demanding "enterprise" stuff like automated servers and complex infrastructure can be. Compared to, say, a small project like a game. In a game, if you can't really get something to work exactly the way you like, you can just decide that it's OK the way it is. In an enterprise system you have no such luxury.

But I have no deadline, I just want to make a few games for fun really, and wanted a way to release them on both WP7/8 and IOS.

Regards,
Martin
Offline Benjamin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:34:06 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

Medals: Admin

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Thanks for testing out the engine and your valuable feedback.

Actually the samples worked at the time they were released (v0.9.2, v0.9.3, etc.). The issue you are experiencing is that the Content Service is currently being restructured. Sorry about that, but it is pretty much not avoidable because of the changes made this month. The content grabbing issues are hopefully all fixed with the next server update next week.

Since we have don't have paying engine users outside of our internal team using their own development servers (not having these issues) and while it is bad to have crashes and issues and we will try to avoid it, it is not totally avoidable with the small team we are having. Sorry, we are not Unity or Unreal, and most focus for us is currently on the games using the engine, not on the engine itself, so things are going a bit slowly. We would like to change that, but we are just a small indie developer without any major publisher or investor, so we have to work our way up. Thanks to the openness of the engine we hope people still will benefit even if we don't become the next big thing soon ^^

I am more interested what kind of crashes you are experiencing. We still have a reported bug with the Sample Browser that was improved 2 months ago, but still poped up in v0.9.3 and still needs to be fixed. Are you experiencing something like this? http://forum.deltaengine...in-Samples.aspx#post1395

Edited by user Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:21:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MartinHageras  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:24:05 PM(UTC)
MartinHageras

Hi,

I guess it's good that there is a specific reason why the content fetching didn't work.

The crashes happened when clicking "Open Source file" and also when clicking "Start Exe". Not every time, but for many samples. Also the start exe button would more often than not show a message saying that I need to compile DeltaEngine.sln, which I already did, so that didn't make much sense. Windows 7 64 and VS 2010.

I understand that it's difficult to pull off a big project like this for a small team. But I got the impression that you had this great cross platform solution just around the corner, soon to be released.

I'm still looking for a good cross platform solution for C#/.Net, so I haven't given up on you yet.
In the meantime I'm using Unity as a sort of prototyping tool.

Regards,
Martin
Offline Benjamin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 3:47:29 PM(UTC)
Benjamin

Thanks for the feedback, we will try to test the SampleBrowser more and maybe finish our experimental feature of compiling the solution (which would get rid of some other problems as well).
Offline Benjamin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:46:30 AM(UTC)
Benjamin

I am currently testing the SampleBrowser and your second error report puzzels me a bit (btw: the first and major issue with missing content is mostly fixed for v0.9.4 now):

Originally Posted by: Martin Go to Quoted Post

The Sample browser crashes a lot. Usually when trying to open source code.

I really cannot reproduce this and looking at the code there is really not much that could go wrong, all that happens when clicking "View source code" is the csproj will be started. I see no reason for any crash of the whole program, I really need a log message to figure this out (maybe something was null?), if you still have it please send me your Delta.Tools.SampleBrowser-Archive.txt. Thanks.

Code:

private void OnViewCodeButtonClicked(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
		{
			string csprojFilePath = ViewCodeButton.Tag as string;
			if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(csprojFilePath) == false)
			{
				Process.Start(csprojFilePath);
			} // if
		}

The other issues are being tested and investigated (hopefully increasing the stability in v0.9.4 and v0.9.5 to make this tool as useful as indented), but we have over 1000 tests, almost half of them have to be tested manually. I won't be able to test them all, but I am glad to fix stuff when someone posts issues here in the Forum. Thanks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed